Visual information has increased.
- 4000% in literature since 1990
- 9900% on the internet since 2007
- 142% in newspapers
- 50% of their brain is involved in visual processing
- 70% of all their sensory receptors are in their eyes
- they get the sense of a visual scene in 1/10th of a second
Kids suffer from information overload.
- kids today receive 5x more information than kids in 1986 did
- they consume 34 gigabytes or 100,500 words outside of school each day
- they only read 28% of the words when visiting a website
- color visuals increase the willingness to read by 80%
- text only is 70%
- text with pictures is 95%
67% of kids are persuaded by speakers who use words and visuals vs. 50% who only use words.
Visual communication is easier to recall.
- kids remember 10% of what they hear.
- kids remember 20% of what they read.
- kids remember 80% of what they see and do.