The Etch-a-Sketch was invented by Arthur Granjean in 1959 and has been a toy icon in American culture ever since. I had one as a child...you probably did too. The beauty of the Etch-a-Sketch is the fact that you can create a picture, quickly change it, and start over with just a few shake ups.
Children's Ministries that are effective over the long haul have a lot in common with the Etch-a-Sketch.
- They express creativity.
- They are not content with past creativity.
- Each picture is evaluated and then scrapped once it past it's day.
- They are willing to shake things up and try something new.
- The content inside stays the same, but is quite often expressed with a fresh, new look.
- They are able to navigate skillfully through quick changes.
- They are a tool that is used to paint the beautiful picture that God is creating in children and families' lives.