This means over half of kids will enter adulthood without the benefits of intact family life.
Does this make a difference? Let's examine the facts. Children's raised by their married parents have...
- substantially better life outcomes compared to children raised in single-parent homes
- higher education attainment levels
- better emotional health
- greater self-esteem
- higher regard for marriage
- better chance of avoiding the pitfalls of high-risk behaviors (boys who grow up without a father in the home are more likely to engage in delinquent behaviors & girls who grow up without a father in the home are seven to eight times more likely to experience teenage pregnancy)
- better economic well-being (marriage decreases the chance of childhood poverty by 82%)
We must teach the next generation about the benefits and value of marriage. We must hold up God's golden standard for the family which is one man and one woman married for life.
We must provide solid per-marital counseling for couples.
We must reach out to married couples who are struggling and help them journey back to a healthy marriage.
Marriage was designed by God and is the foundation on which a family is built.
For more help on marriage and family ministry, I encourage you to check out the D6 conference that will be held this fall. It is one of the leading conferences that equips churches to reach and disciple families. You can get more information at this link.