- Less than half (46%) of kids under 18 are living in a home with two married heterosexual parents in their first marriage compared to 73% in 1960 and 61% in 1980.
- The number of children born outside of marriage is 41%.
- 15% of children are living with two parents who are in a remarriage.
- 34% of children today are living with an unmarried parent—up from just 9% in 1960, and 19% in 1980.
- 5% of children are not living with either parent and in most cases are living with a grandparent.
Ministering to today's families is no longer cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all ministry. If you are reaching your community, you are going to have a very diverse group of families. You will not only have kids who come from a traditional family, but you will also have kids whose parents are cohabiting, kids from blended families, kids from single parent homes, kids from same-sex households and kids living with their grandparents.
We are called to meet families where they are, love them, wrap our arms around them and provide pathways of grace and growth. Yes, it gets messy at times, but that's what Jesus loves. That's the kind of ministry He had when He was on earth and that's the kind of ministry He is continuing today through us.
Let's keep reaching families!