Millennials (ages 18-34) are becoming moms...and technology is a big part of their lives. If you want to connect with them effectively, here's some need-to-knows when it comes to millennial moms and technology.
Millennials moms are part of the first generation to grow up immersed in the internet and social media. They are first-generation digital natives. Navigating the online world is as natural as breathing for them.
Recent research shows that when Millennial women become moms, instead of stepping back from technology, they increase their usage and make it an even more essential part of their lives.
Millennial moms engage with digital devices.
- 95% own a smartphone.
- 81% prefer texting over talking.
- 90% use a tablet.
- 45% own an internet TV device.
- 99% of Millennial moms use Facebook.
- 97% spend time on Pinterest.
- 89% use Instagram.
- 98% post pictures on social media of their experiences.
- 84% post videos.
- 86% use social media to influence others.
- 72% use social media to give advice to others.
- They prefer firsthand recommendations.
- They expect personal conversations with brands and organizations they interact with. 84% enjoy when this happens.
- 92% tag brands in their social media posts.
- 77% believe the internet has made them a better parent.
- 87% say the internet allows them to quickly access parenting tips and advice.
- 90% say the internet helps them find fun activities to do with their kids.
- 81% say they use it connect with moms going through similar experiences.
- 79% say it allows them to connect day and night with other moms.
- Social media is one of the best ways to connect with Millennial moms. Open accounts for your children's ministry parents on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
- Text messages are a great way to reach Millennial moms. Not only do 95% of them have a smartphone, but 98% of text messages get read as well.
- Provide photo opps at church where Millennial moms can use their smartphones to take pictures with their kids. You can be sure the moms will post them online. Remember...98% of them post pictures on social media of their experiences. What a great way to spread the word about your ministry.
- Use social media to promote upcoming events, series and programs. Ask Millennial moms to help share the posts.
- Create an online parenting forum and share articles about parenting on social media. Millennial moms are looking for parenting advice.
- Post your take home papers on social media. This is a great way to provide them with a tool talk about the lesson during the week.
- Post activities that parents can do with their children that tie into the lesson. Millennial moms are looking for activities to do with their children and it will give them another tool to go back over the lesson you taught.
- Use your phone to create short online videos to post online. Some ideas are to provide updates, a re-cap of the lesson, parenting tips, short devotionals for kids and parents to do together and more. Millennial moms like video communication. They constantly watch video clips on social media platforms.
- Provide social media posts about the ministry that moms can share online and use to invite their friends to church. Remember 86% of them want to use social media to influence others. This gives them an opportunity to influence their friends for Christ.
Your turn. What are some other ideas for reaching Millennial moms through technology? Share your ideas with everyone in the comment section below.